Quanum XJ470 is a popular frame that is sold by Hobbyking. It is relatively cheap 470 mm frame that has some real advantages, like:
- Foldable, with adequate fixation by big screws
- Carbon Fibre design (really strong – crash tested)
- Adequate machining (aluminium parts properly anodized: black and cherry red)
- Enough space to accommodate 12” propellers
- A number of alternative mounting hardware bits for a 2D gimbal
What was sacrificed?
- Space for your components: all the components will be tightly packed, especially if you have to use external vibration dampeners on your flight controller
- It is very hard to imagine a 3D gimbal on this frame. It can be modified of course, some people even manage to install removable landing gear. However this defeats the purpose of having a compact foldable quadcopter in our opinion
- Landing gear is not very strong and is likely to fail even from a rather modest crash (which is sometimes a benefit, as the shock is not transferred to the main frame)
- Not quite enough space to connect the battery
- 12” props are asking for a decent size motor (such as Sunnysky V3508 for example) but the mounting holes allow to connect those with 2-screws only (smaller 2212 motors can still be connected with 4 screws)
Why do we recommend this frame?
- A compact form factor when folded, a strong design with heaps of power (if 3508 motors/12”props are used) when unfolded
- Good quality materials and machining
- Adequate pricing
Forum Response to This Article:
There are no forum posts on this article at the moment.
Login to reply